Notifications
Clear all

Re: couple of questions

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm a freshman at a CC right now and after I get my associates in arts or science I'm transfering to a liberal arts university.. is a liberal arts university a bad idea when you are thinking about goin to med school? I want to go to this university because I know it has a great psych program, but if its a bad idea I need to start lookin around some more.
Also, my whole freshman year my classes have been only psych, humanities, and english classes.. I took one math class, College Algebra, so far.. I'm not the greatest in Maths but I got an A in that.. my question is what kinds of maths will I need for the MCATs and for Med Schools? Next year I'm really gona need to work on maths and sciences, so I need to be aware of what to sign up for.
For the Science part, we have an excellent Anatomy and Physiology class here at the CC.. I never hear anyone mention that kind of class when they talk about med school.. is it a class I should take or is it useless? should i just focus on biology and chem? and should I even take those here or wait till later?
thanks you guys! 😀

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

A liberal arts college is not a bad idea at all. I graduated from a liberal arts college, as do most people. If you want to study psychology as an undergrad, than you should definitely pick a school with a strong psychology department.

As for the math requirements, most medical schools don't have an explicit requirement. I'd say many pre-med students have taken math through calculus, but it is not required by most medical schools. You really don't need to know calculus either for the MCAT or for medical school. When you take physics, you'll need to have some basic understanding of some of the principles of calculus, but you don't really need to know it. If you struggle in math, than parts of physics will likely be tough as well - so be prepared for that.

Anatomy and physiology is basically a biology class - I think many biology majors will have taken that, and it while you will learn all of the anatomy and physiology you could ever want to know in med school, taking an undergrad level course in that area might help you feel more confident and familiar when you see the material again in med school. As with most things, repitition of the topics likely will help you remember them long term.

The biggest question you'll need to consider is whether you should take your pre-med classes at the community college, or wait until you are at the liberal arts college to take them. Most likely, it'd be best to take the pre-med courses at the 4 year college, but it might put you on a little delayed schedule with completing them all in time for graduation / MCATs. Something you will definitely need to think about.

Best of luck, and congrats on getting that A in your math class!

ReplyQuote
(@mcvcom2007)

I have to agree with the previous posts. I too have an undergrad degree from a liberal arts school, however, I think it would be best for you to take your pre-med courses at your 4 year institution. The medical college you are applying to will be looking at your sciences and pre-med classes from your 4-year instution heavily and primarily your 3rd and 4th year. Also, do not make the same mistake I did. I was uniformed and took Calculus I and II when it was not required for med school or for the MCAT. I recomend you take a statistic class for science majors it will prove most helpful to you in medical school. There are definitly cources that will make your road easier once you have matriculated to your med school. I recomend checking out the web sites to the schools you are interested in an seeing what years 1 and 2 courses look like. But keep in mind your time frame for taking classes that will be on the MCAT. You will want to take the MCAT in your Junior year so you need to have you cores completed prior to the test. For medical school itself; I would try to take Microbiology, Biochemistry, and a Genetics class if you can. I think these were very helpful to me in my 1st two years. Best of luck!! 🙂

Mary Carolyn C. Vinson, MSII
Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2265 Kraft Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060<a href="mailto: [email protected]">[email protected]

ReplyQuote
Share: