Notifications
Clear all

Transfers?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Good Morning All. Im very interested in Med school. I was gonna try to go to Junior college(community college) for a 2 year program, and then I know you are supposed to get a transfer to a four year college and finish up Pre-med before applying.But I had a few questions that I really need answers to,and they are:

1.If I make good grades can I Apply to a college like 3 or four hours away,or does it matter because it kind of sucks staying home?

2.Is It easier to get into a college if you transfer?

I just really wanna go to community college for the 2 year program and make good grades so I can transfer to wherever, is it possible?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

As far as I know, almost all 4 year colleges will consider people transferring in from community colleges. I think it'd be tough to go to college while you live 3-4 hours away from there. I'm not sure if that is what you meant. You can certainly apply to a college 3-4 hours away, and you'll want to move to live near the college when you start there.

I'm not sure if it is easier to get into a college as a transfer. I would think that if you were an average student in high school and weren't able to get in right out of high school, but then you did really well at a community college, the 4 year college would might be willing to accept you.

I think you can transfer to most any school, but obviously the more competitive the school, the more difficult it will be. If you had good grades in high school and good SAT / ACT scores, you would probably have a better chance.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Heya...

A few thoughts re: your questions.

1. If you make good grades you can apply to a college/university across town or across the country. It doesn't matter. I initially went to a CC close to my home in Oregon, and then was THIS CLOSE to transferring to a university in Wisconsin after 2 years. I then chose to stay in Oregon, but transferred to a university about 2-3 hours from my parents' place. (It can suck staying home, you're right... but it is also nice to have holidays at home or a home-cooked meal sometimes.)

2. It might be easier, it might be harder. It depends on your background and situation, as outlined by Doc Admin. Do the absolute best that you can in CC and it probably will be a very good thing, since you are also likely saving money by going there.

3. Yeah, it's possible. Just remember that it can be a good idea to take much of your pre-med stuff at the 4-year level.

Good luck! Enjoy the ride, and be/do well...

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: