Notifications
Clear all

Re: Psychology vs Psychiatry pay ...

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Please excuse my incredible crassness. I have read most posts here so respect the balanced advice.

I am researching careers in both Psychology and Psychiatry. And while it would not be my final decision maker I would like an idea on how both pay. If one factored in school costs would it eliminate any pay advantage to psychiatry over psychology? Or is there a much wider gap between which each one average earns? Thank you for an answer I am insanely curious about this.

I am looking at many other factors in becoming one over the other along with this one rude question. I am making this choice at an older,still young, age(currently a SAHM) and so very throughly investigating it pro/con. I like to make well planned out decisions. And thank you I have learned a lot just on posts here!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

According to Salary.com - the salary range for psychiatrists is: 25%tile = $133,193, 50%tile = $150,498, and 75%tile = $172,437. The salary range for psychologists is 25%tile = $60,495, 50%tile = $69,424, and 75%tile = $81,200

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/6/26 14:35 ]

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Frankly, I don't think that the question is "crass" at all. One must make a living, mustn't one? It is wise to know what to expect from a profession, before you decide to commit the effort and time into pursuing it.

The question then becomes, "Am I willing to invest x amount of years of training into something with y amount of payoff." It is a valid and important question, certainly!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Trust me when I say, psychiatry pays more. It deals with both the physical aspects of the body, as well as the mental aspects. Naturally it should pay more. Pschology, on the other hand, deals more (and only) on the side of the mental aspects of the body. But personally I would lean towards Pyschiatry, simply because i think it is more interesting. Two each his own, really. Then again I am only a grade 10 student.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Pretty good for a high school sophomore. I'm a post-bacc student going to medical school. I have a psychology degree and want to pursue psychiatry as a profession. Think on the level you are at, and you'll go far

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Can i just comment on "25%,50%,75%" i just want a straight answer.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

sorry what i mean is 25+50+75=150? i cant trust a bad source.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Ray,

I think you misunderstand the percentiles statistic.

25 percentile means that 25% make that amount or less. 50 percentile means 50% make that much or less. 75 percentile means only 25 percent make that much or more. There may be an easier way to explain it, but percentiles are a very common way to express data like this.

Giving the various percentiles helps get a sense of the variety in salaries and what you can expect. The median salary (half make more and half make less) is the 50 percentile number.

ReplyQuote
Share: