Clear all

Re-Med

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@piknik)
Topic starter  

No, that wasn't type-o. 🙂

I went to medical school, and then quit with only 6 months left. Now, 5 years later, I'm thinking about going back. What do you think about going back: will they let me start where I left off, or will I have to start over again?

Long story short: my pre-reqs and MCATs were completed in 1998, matriculated 2001, then the attacks in NY on 9-11, then my dad died, then I got married and then had twins (and then one more, going through a total of 8 rounds of IVF). I quit to focus on our family. Now that the jkids are going into school, I'm thinking it's time to finish what I started.

What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Interesting situation. It must have been a very difficult time for you when you made the decision to drop out. I don't personally know anyone who did drop-out but I know some people who had considered it and ultimately were able to make it through. I know the schools often would do what they could to allow for leaves or other such options. Did you leave your school on good terms? Can you contact them and see what they suggest your options would be?

If you've kept in touch with any of your classmates, you are well aware of the challenges of residency, especially with a young family. You can probably find a program that would be more family friendly, but that raises another issue. You have two issues to sort out - 1) can you complete your medical school training without having to re-do a lot of the work and 2) will you be able to match in a residency program that will be a good fit for your family situation

You definitely need to really explore your reasons for wanting to go back as well as your level of motivation to make it through this time. It is a lot of energy to complete a residency program, although I think you've already experienced the worst of medical school.

Good luck, and I'm curious to hear what you decide.

ReplyQuote
Share: