Clear all

Re: Age

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

To anyone who will listen:
Is there an age limit when applying to med school? I'm 30, interested in med school, but feel I may be over the hill. I have a B.A. in Humanities and Fine Art and A.A. Music Ed, but have found I'm not quite enamored with teaching. I know it would be a big change, but many years ago music was considered a science and medicine an art.

Also can medical schools reject you based on age?

Thanks to anyone who answers this!!!
😕

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There are definitely no age limits on getting into medical school. 30 years of age would not be that unusual for a medical student. I had several classmates in their 30's and some older than that. It is becoming much more common for people to become a doctor as a second career.

Medical schools can not reject you based on age.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thank you!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am 43 and in my last year of medical school. Most older students, like you, come to medical school because they are seeking to enamoured with their career. Remember, work does not love you back. Medical school is a strain financially, socially and physically. For me, it wasn't worth what I gave up. Maybe you will feel differently though. In any case, medical schools cannot outright reject you because of your age, but some schools are more willing to take older students than others. Good luck and, please, think hard about your choice.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

As the others said Don't feel "over the hill." I am applying to medical school for the second time. I have found that some medical schools tend to prefer older students or students who are not coming right out of undergraduate studies. Their philosophy seems to be that these no-traditional students have more "life experience" and are more sure about thier decision to make such a life altering choice versus some young bull headed energetic student who is plowing forward with no thought.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you apply. APPLICATION is expensive as is school. Know the prereqs for each school and their general admission standards (MCAT and GPA) its not worth the $ to apply if you don't stand a chance in getting in. Also where you want to go to school, near any family for support, weather rainy cold snowy sunny, do you want a commuter campus or a walking campus (gas prices are bad + parking permit), do you want to live downtown or do you want a campus where you can live in a more rural area (also affects types and numbers of patients see).

Thanks- Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

THIRTY?

We have a woman at my school who started at age 50, and another fellow who was 44. You are a veritable Spring Chicken, my friend. (I am 37).

Good luck!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: