Notifications
Clear all

Psychotherapy and/or Psychiatry

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am a third-year head pastor in the United Methodist Church who has been working on a Masters in Divinity. I have found my interest in ministry to be focused moreso on the cognitive aspects of helping people think and act more healthily. I have found much to like with William Glasser's Choice Theory. My question is: At 32, not married and no children, what is your opinion on me persuing a career as a psychiatrist who focuses (like Glasser) on psychotherapy versus persuing a career in, say, marriage and family therapy, and focusing on psychotherapy. Obviously the path is somewhat different, but what are the advantages of either (other than the ability to prescribe medication)? Do medical schools look at "non-traditional" students diferently? Thanks for your input.

Will

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Check out the discussion on psychiatrists and psychologists as I think a lot of the similarities and differences are already discussed there. To summarize, though, the two fields are very different, but deal with the similar patients / clients. Most psychiatrists today spend most of their time doing medication management. Salaries for psychiatrists are significantly higher for psychiatrists (from what I've seen at least). Training for psychiatrists is FAR more rigorous and demanding, and expensive.

Non-traditional students probably are looked at differently by medical schools - however, I don't think it is seen necessarily as a positive or a negative. Actually, in most cases it can be made into a positive, as you will have had more experience, perspective, and maturity than most people who are right out of college. There were many classmates in my med school class who had other careers before going to medical school.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey there, Will...

In my opinion, there is a lot of room in medicine for docs with a spiritual bent. My current favorite medical school professor, in addition to practicing family medicine and teaching, holds masters degrees in anatomy and divinity.

I agree with Dr. Admin -- your background will be viewed differently than applicants who are coming straight from undergrad, (simply because you ARE different!), but that is probably a good thing if you frame it correctly.

Best of luck with your studies, in whichever direction they take you!
🙂

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Will,

I'd love to chat with you. My interests fall exactly in line with yours. Divinity, psychiatry and counseling. I am currently an educator in mental health for a major pharmaceutical company, am 30 and contemplating future career direction. Let's chat.

Jen

😉

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/8/30 17:27 ]

ReplyQuote
Share: