Notifications
Clear all

non-science major for medical school

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi- i was wondering if it matterd if you had a science major for med school. Ive heard from many different people that they look at you more if you have a non-science major b/c they want diversity. My major is biology with a minor in chem. and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to change it. Also another question is how many years must you go to med school. Is it always four everywhere you go? thanks

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/3/31 17:08 ]

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Doesn't really matter if you have a science or non-science major. I would major in what you find interesting. A lot of pre-med students major in science fields because you have to take those classes anyway as a prerequisite for med school.

I wouldn't change majors just because you think it would help.

As far as I know, all med schools are 4 years (to answser your second question).

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

I would recommend that people should definitely major in what they LIKE (no matter what career path they want). If you are about to graduate in something, though, it's a little late! 😉

Being true to yourself as an aspiring physician is far more important than trying to tailor your resume to meet the alleged thinking of an admissions committee.

One of our Deans at my school is fond of telling applicants, "BE YOURSELF... if you try to put on airs, or be someone you are not, it will stand out to us like a sore thumb in the interview."

I believe that wholeheartedly.

Best of luck to you!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: