Clear all

Need guidance with pre-med

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jballou)
Topic starter  

I have a unique situation 😐
I have a bachelors FIne arts Major Computer animation GPA 2.47 ( I know gpa is horrible I was 17 and didnt care ).
Now I am an officer in the Army and I plan to get out and go to premed and eventually go to USUHS and go back into the Army. I don't have any pre-reqs for med school 🙁 and I am kind of worried this would be impossible for me because of my previous GPA.
- How do I go about getting all of these requirements

One academic year of general or inorganic chemistry including laborator
One academic year of organic chemistry including laboratory
One semester of calculus (precalculus or computer science courses are not acceptable)
One academic year of general physics including laboratory (courses in astronomy are not acceptable)
One academic year of biology including laboratory (botany courses are not acceptable)
One academic year of college English (introductory courses in composition or literature are acceptable)
-----------
Would I be better off goign to get a whole new bachelors in pre-med or is there a condensed program for my situation?
please any suggestions I need a plan before I ETS out of the Army.

Thanks for your time!
-Justin

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Very briefly - in order to complete the pre-med requirements, you don't need to go through another 4 year program for a bachelors degree. You can take just the pre-med courses at any university. Several of my classmates had a career in one field and went back to night school courses that met the requirements.

The bigger issue in your situation is your GPA. You should find out if the medical school you are considering would seriously consider your application given your previous GPA. In my experience, it is very rare for someone with under a 3.0 GPA doing the work necessary to improve their grades and get into medical school. I'm not saying it is impossible, but you need to well aware of the long-shot situation you are considering.

ReplyQuote
Share: