Notifications
Clear all

natural apptitude for science?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. This is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering, does one need to have a natural aptitude for science in order to be successful as a physician?

I am a freshman in college and currently taking general biology and general chemistry courses; I am enamored with both these courses and have, at times, been suffused with my love of them as I walked down the hallway to my bio or chem lab. In the beginning of the semester, I even considering being a chemistry major. Still, both of these courses are proving to be hard for me. I did not make a good grade on my first chemistry exam (I fell below the class mean) and am still awaiting the results on my first bio exam. My very supportive chemistry professor has told my that I can still recover my GPA, but I am now wondering: am I making the wrong decision by going into medical school if freshman science courses are proving so challenging for me? I am pleased if I can just keep up with the material in lectures and, somehow, that doesn't seem right.

In my psychology class, by contrast, I am always able to ask engaging questions and more than keep up with the material; in fact, I seem to remember everything I read with little to no effort. My psychology professor has unlimited faith in my abilities as a student . . . and has actually consistently remembered who I am even though he is teaching an introductory course of 200+ students . . .

Some friends have suggested that since psychology seems to come easier to me, I might want to be a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist. But, I have always wanted to be a psychiatrist and love all aspects of the profession- including the science. Somehow, becoming a psychologist instead would just not feel right . . .

Thus, I was wondering if anyone had any input. Does science need to come easily to you in order for you to be successful in med school, or can sheer will, stamina, and route memorization enable you to get what isn't second nature? I love my science courses, but, while some people I know can get by with little effort, intensive study on my part is needed for a passing grade. I desperately want to become a psychiatrist, but I am worried that I will not be good enough . . . am I going into the wrong profession?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

A lot depends on how well you are able to learn the new material. It may be that other students in your class had more chemistry courses in high shcool and that is why you didn't do as well on the first exam. It may also be that the material on the first exam does not play to your strengths, but perhaps material you cover later will come to you more easily.

Biology is something that was very difficult for me - I have a hard time with rote memorization, which is what I found biology to be for me. I didn't find any system to help me understand why certain terms were used for various things. My memory was good enough, though, to get by, but that was spending a lot of time memorizing, and I never got it as good as some of the other kids in my classes.

Chemistry, though, did come more naturally to me, and physics was by far the easiest for me - I didn't take any in college and got by with my AP credit from high school - and still did best on the MCAT on the physical sciences. However, physics is probably the least relevant of those required science courses for medical school. So, as much as I struggled in college, it was just as much of a struggle in medical school until the 3rd year.

So, to answer your question on whether it requires natural aptitude - I'd say 'no' if you are smart enough to get by. Obviously, it is all easier if you are naturally good at it. A lot depends on what you want to do with your life, and if your skills are "good enough".

I'd also say that experience in a freshman psychology class probably isn't enough to know if that is what you want to do for a career. However, I also found my freshman psychology class very interesting - and so I took more psychology courses I was interested in like "brain and behavior" and "drugs and behavior".

When I started medical school, I didn't think I would like psychiatry and working with psychiatric patients. However, I found the opposite when I actually did the work. I still had the same huge interest in psychological theory as well as psychopharmacology, and was pleasantly surprised that I also enjoyed working with people with psychiatric illnesses.

My suggestion is to take courses that interest you in college. As long as psychiatry is something you are considering, I'd take the requirements for medical school. Do the best job you can, as the knowledge you obtain will be useful in many professions, not just for medical school.

As you go along, you will have a better sense of whether the challenges of the science classes are worth it for you or not.

And I also want to add - there are many very happy psychologists with a very good understanding of the biology of behavior. Their work is often different, but for many people, it is more rewarding than if they were practicing as a psychiatrist.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thank you so much for your reply! I didn't really have a strong base in the sciences in high school, so, as you said, I think that might be part of the problem . . .My main problem on the first chemistry exam was that I did not understand the matamatical concepts that well (I do not know if it is true of all introductory chemistry courses, but, as another student said, the chem course is really more of a math course). As a result, I realized that if I mastered basic mathematical skills, I should master the tests. Hopefully.:-)

I am fortunate enough to have a very good biology professor who places chapter objectives online detailing what the class needs to know for the test- so I do have a pretty good idea of what to study. The whole thing in a nutshell is that I need to improve my study habits. After both the biology and chem tests, I was left with the lingering suspicion that I could have easily aced them if I had simply applied myself more . . .

To be honest, I think that no matter how hard they end up being the science course will be "worth it." I love my classes and I love my courses, so I guess my problem lies in studying better. It is a clich? statement, but I have wanted to be a physician for as long as I can remember- and I am determined to make my dream an actuality.

So, in all respects, I guess my original post was somewhat pointless- I was simply reflecting on my epiphany moment after the test when I realized that it had been a lot easier for some people than for others . . . something that, although perhaps trivial, worried me.

Once again, thank you for responding so promptly, I really appreciated your input . . .

ReplyQuote
Share: