Clear all

Mental illness and wanting to be a psychiatrist

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello,

I am thinking of becoming a psychiatrist. However, I suffer from mental illness myself. I am bipolar and I have had numerous hospital stays in my past.
I just wanted to know if that would disqualify me from becoming a psychiatrist. Due to my own experiences as a patient I beleive I could help a lot of people. I am on medication, I am stable. I just want to know what are my chances?
Thank you for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Having mental illness does not disqualify you from becoming a physician unless it impairs your ability to do your job. I think it would be important for you to discuss your interest with your psychiatrist as he/she could give you much better advice. Medical school and residency are very stressful and sleep deprivation is often a big part of training. Most people with bipolar disorder will find the sleep disruption can lead to an exacerbation of their illness. I have heard of accomodations being made at certain residency programs.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

There are different degrees of mental illness. IMHO a person with dysthymic disorder or anxiety would be okay, but bipolar to the level that you describe, no. Not to be rude, but it doesn't sound like you are emotionally well enough to be a psychiatrist, given the fact that you have been hospitalized on several occasions. That sounds like serious mental illness.

ReplyQuote
Share: