Notifications
Clear all

Med School Req's

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I graduated with a degree in Anthropolgy, I took a year off then decided that I wanted to pursue becoming a physician. Should i pursue a masters degree in Biology to have a better foundation in the sciences? or can I just take my pre-req's at any college then apply to med school? Please help!! Thanks 😕

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You don't need the masters in biology in order to get accepted to medical school. It might make you stand out a little compared to others, having a masters degree, but I doubt it would be the difference between being accepted or rejected at a med school. I would take the pre-req's at a decent 4 year college and apply to med school once you've finished them and taken your MCATs.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thanks for your help! I have another question if you dont mind...
Can i take undergraduate classes at another school even though i have my bachelors? Would i have to be a nonmatriculated student? 😕

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Not exactly sure how all this works. I am pretty sure you can take bachelors level classes even though you already have your bachelors degree. I know that some people I went to med school with had one career, then went back to night school at one of the local 4 year colleges and only took the pre-med classes - obviously at a bachelors level. I don't know about whether they are considered "matriculated" or "nonmatriculated" students though. I'm guessing you could call one of the local colleges and get this answered without too much hassle.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey there...

I came to med school after my master's degree, and I took a few of the premed sciences during grad school -- (signed up for undergrad classes as a grad student, which was no big deal registration-wise... but a huge pain in the butt as far as adding to the graduate workload).

I also took a bunch of premed stuff after grad school, and I was NOT a degree seeking student. Is that what you are meaning by "matriculated?" It is my understanding that if you are registered for classes someplace, you are "matriculated," but not always as a degree-seeking student. In any case, that is a semantic difference which is of no consequence. You should be able to find a place to take your premed classes without a problem in most locations.

You can certainly get a master's degree, but in most cases I don't see it helping a ton, in my opinion. SOME graduate degrees might add to your career as a doc, but a straight sciences degree less so, unless you are interested in hard core research and/or want an MD/PhD program.

Short answer (TOO LATE!) 😮 , you can take your post-bac premed stuff wherever you want, it certainly does not have to be at the same place where you finished your bachelor's work. Heck, my premed classwork was from schools in three different states, ranging from the West Coast to the East Coast. (We were also moving for my wife's graduate work... I'm not a complete nomad.)

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. 🙂

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: