Notifications
Clear all

Community College and Medical School

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I was interested in trying to go to med school. I was just wondering if I did 2 years of undergraduate at community college and then transferred to a regular university and did 2 years there would it be okay.If I had good grades would they except me just the same.Is community college for 2 years okay or what. alot of people do it and I think its a good idea..Thanx :-p

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/8/17 6:30 ]

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

It is a reasonable idea - however, typically the intensity of the pre-med classes at a community college is not sufficient for most medical schools. You can save all of your pre-med classes until you transfer to a 4 year college. However, you then have to realize that it might be tough to get all of them done in the last 2 years of college.

I know that there are people who have done this, but I'm not sure exactly how they've done it. Perhaps talking to a counselor at the community college might be helpful, or if possible, a pre-med counselor at a 4 year college.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

I finished an AA at a CC and am now in med school, but for me it was not a straight shot from CC to 4-year to med school. Doc Admin is right, it might be a challenge to get through the sciences and be ready for the MCAT by the time you finish your first year at the 2nd school.

For me, I didn't know that I wanted to be a doc when I was at CC, so it was no big deal. I started really taking the premed classes in grad school, and then thereafter.

The upside of CCs is that they are cheap and generally close to home. You can also find some good teachers there, I sure did. But when it comes to premed sciences, at least the big stuff prepping for the MCAT, I would recommend looking to your 4-year school.

In the end, even if it takes you one extra year of prep, it might save you a lot of money, and you might even enjoy the ride a bit more! That is for you to decide. The big thing is to excel in your studies and do well on the MCAT. An AA/AS before your BA/BS isn't likely to be a blemish at many schools, IMHO, as long as you are ready to tell why you went there first.

Good luck to you!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: