Notifications
Clear all

MCAT question...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I have been wondering-- it sounds really tough to get into med school~ yet it takes so much time to prepare for the MCAT and stuff.
I am starting my junior year of college now and I know that I really like a job at the clinical setting. I am just afraid that I may not get into a medical school after putting most of my time into MCAT preparation.
So my question is-- would it be better if i spend some time and look into other things such as optometry school, etc? I really want to be a physician but my parents are worrying if I will have to stop for a year if i don't get in a med school.

Hope my question makes sense! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Your question makes complete sense (at least to me).

At this point, have you taken your pre-med classes? If you have done well in the pre-med classes, that is a fair indication that you will probably do well on the MCAT - as the MCAT basically tests you on the pre-med classes (aside from the verbal section and the essay section).

It is always a good idea to have other plans if things don't work out as you had expected. Considering other professional schools or other career options in case the med-school thing doesn't work out is definitely a good idea. There are many good options aside from being a doctor if you enjoy clinical work.

Also, the work you put into preparing for the MCAT will be useful for you if you pursue other careers, so the time is not completely wasted if the med school route doesn't work out.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey, a backup plan is always good... but if you >really< want to begome a physician, don't give up on it just because people are worried that it might take an extra year! (ASSUMING, of course, that you did OK on GPA/MCAT/etc. and actually can get into med school.)

When I was applying to medical school the first time, my application process was rudely interrupted by the military -- they called me up to active duty following 9/11. Some people, including friends and family, were distressed that this was going to cost me (at least) another year before I could begin medical school.

Well, heck, I wasn't exactly tickled about it myself, to be sure, but it turned out to be a worthwhile experience, and I was able to re-apply while I was deployed. I served as a medic, so I worked with a lot of doctors who were able to write excellent letters of reference, having seen me perform with the infantry. (Somehow, I think that those letters were a bit more interesting to read than "Timmy has been working in my lab poking rats with a stick for a semester, and he is a truly an outstanding rat-poker.") If it takes an extra year, it takes an extra year, and you can do some great stuff in that year.

If you are willing to work for it, and you think you can do it, go for it. Even if you have to take an extra year off to get into medical school -- hey, as opposed to going straight through in a program (and life-long career) that doesn't interest me as much? Well, for my money, I would pick my dream over a back-up.

(Also, worrying about graduating from med school at 27 instead of 26 is kinda silly. There is a woman in my med school class who is 48 years old!)

Good luck, work hard, and hang in there! 😀

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: