Notifications
Clear all

Injured arm and hand - can I still become a doctor?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I injured my right arm resulting in a radial nerve injury, so my hand has impaired function. I've had a nerve graft and physio and can function normally in regular life, but will I be able to get through med school? I'd like to become an ob/gyn, but I'm afraid I won't be able to perform the surgeries required in rotations in med school and as an ob. I could also specialize to infertility treatment. My wrist is weaker than normal, and I probably wouldn't be able to perform minute procedures with that hand (fingers can raise but movements are slower). My thumb's upward motion is limited. Can I still become a doctor?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I have no personal knowledge or experience on this topic, but I think you could definitely manage to get through medical school with limited dexterity in one hand. Becoming a surgeon or ob/gyn is less clear to me - you'd need to probably speak to someone in the field who is familiar with your specific limitations. As to medical school - you can watch this video about someone who is a doctor with far bigger limitations than what you are referring to.

ReplyQuote
Share: