Notifications
Clear all

how important is volunteering and research

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hi, i was just wondering how important being involved and research really is. i have an ok gpa of about 3.5-3.6 and i still have to take my mcats, but i just started volunteering about a month ago and i havent started research yet, but i plan to, so i was wondering how important those factors are for getting into a med school. thank you so much

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

My own sense is that they are probably not really that important, but that could be because pretty much everyone who applies has done some volunteering - and many have done research. As most doctors do not have research careers, and I think most medical school admissions committees relealize this, they shouldn't really penalize you for not doing research. Although I know I frequently hear that having done research could be helpful. I had done research, but that's because I wanted to, not to help with medical school.

So, basically, my answer is: I don't think it matters that much, but it might (I don't really know).

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

My opinion is that research and volunteering are great. Bear in mind, though, that some type of clinical experience, such as working with orphans in West Africa, is also great. So are such awesome experiences as river-guiding fly fishermen, running a small business, teaching English overseas, and backpacking through Europe. (All of these are activities undertaken by people in my medical school class.)

IMHO, the most important thing is to be actively engaged in that which you enjoy, and about which you are passionate. That will make you an interesting applicant, and will translate into a more pleasant pre-med experience! As Doc Admin said, he did research because he wanted to... if you like research, then do it.

However, if you hate research, for the love of Mike, do something else. What will you say if they ask you about it in an interview? "I worked in a lab that I hated because I thought that was what you wanted me to do," sounds pretty lame to me.

That being said, I did research for my masters degree, but it was clinically-based, as I had no interest in bench research. I happen to really like working with people, but others prefer a lab setting...

I definitely recommend getting clinical experience somehow, though. You will have to have some way to demonstrate (and prove to yourself) that you want to work with patients!

Seriously, it is worth your while to find something you really-REALLY dig, and just do it well. Funny, lots of pre-meds will reject this advice out of hand, as they can't handle anything outside the box of "standard" 1950's pre-medical thinking. Whatever. I guarantee that you will be happiest doing what you enjoy, and relating it to medicine somehow.

Good luck to you! Enjoy the journey...

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: