Notifications
Clear all

High School Course Plan?

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dauven)
Topic starter  

Howdy. I'm a freshman in High School, and I'm doing a "career exploration project." I'm required to include my "high school course plan," which I gather is supposed to mean that I have to include what classes I would take in high school in order to become a psychiatrist.
Am I right in thinking that as long as I get good grades in advanced classes (basic subjects, science, math, english, etc.), that I'll be able to get into a good college? Is it true that there are "specific classes in high school that you have to take to become a psychiatrist," or is this a misinformed statement?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There are no specific classes you need to take to become a psychiatrist. The most important thing is for you to do well in high school to get into a solid college. You should take all of the typical classes in the sciences, so that you can take pre-med classes in college.

ReplyQuote
(@dauven)
Topic starter  

This project is a pain in the butt.
I'm supposed to be relying pretty heavily on some surveys I'm taking on various websites (BLS, MassCIS, Monster), but they don't really have the results I was looking for. Should I disregard them?

Also, I'm supposed to be looking at what colleges I would like to go to (in New England). Do you have any suggestions? How much does the college you go to influence your chances of getting into Med-School?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

When you say they don't have the results you were looking for, what do you mean? I have no idea how good the surveys can be at places like that.

I'm not familiar with the colleges out in New England, so I can't help you with that.

I would say for most medical schools, the college you go to won't make that much difference as long as it's not a community college. If you are hoping to go to a really top level medical school, then the college you go to may make some sort of impact.

I'd pick the best college for what your interests are aside from medical school - that also has a decent pre-med curriculum (reputation for pre-med students, with solid basic science classes). College is about a lot more than just taking classes for graduate school. Enjoy it for what it can be.

ReplyQuote
(@dauven)
Topic starter  

I meant that it suggested that I go into law, which is not something I am interested in anymore. I say anymore because I used to be interested in it.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

If you are a freshman in high school, I would not put too much value in the surveys you are taking now. You have a TON of time before you need to pick a career for yourself.

I didn't confirm that I wanted to be pre-med until my second year of college. I know other people who decided later than that. I know a few people who had one career, and then went back to take the required pre-med classes and then went to medical school (so called "non-traditional" medical students).

I am not familiar with the career surveys these websites use, but I would be surprised if they can accurately predict which career you would be most happy with.

ReplyQuote
(@dauven)
Topic starter  

Thanks, you've been a big help.
I do have one more problem, though; I have to cite all my sources, and I'm confused as to how I should cite you in MLA format. Are you associated with any company?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I just looked it up:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/09/

and for my information on a Web site, it appears the citation would be something like:

Admin, Richard. High School Course Plan. 5 December 2006.

I'm not 100% sure though, as we didn't have internet citations when I was in school.

ReplyQuote
(@dauven)
Topic starter  

So the education required for becoming a psychiatrist would be about four years in college, another four years in medical school, and then up to eight years in a residency, right?

So 16 years in total, give or take?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

4 years of college
4 years of medical school
4 years of residency for psychiatriy
12 years total - give or take.

ReplyQuote
Share: