Notifications
Clear all

Community college and credits

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chadermaster)
Topic starter  

I was currently attending a CC in the fall of 2009 as computer science major, due to financial reasons I wasn't able to go into my second semester. I've decided
to go into pre med in hopes of getting into medical school. I was looking at CUNY Hunter College, but I won't be able to transfer because my H.S grades are weak
and I don't have enough college credits to transfer despite a 3.6 gpa. So my plan is to get enough credits at a CC and then transfer over to Hunter or second choice CUNY Lehman although Im pretty sure I can get into hunter no problems. My question is, would it hurt to do intro courses in BIO and CHEM at the CC to get enough credits and transfer out to a four year or would it hurt my med school admission if I did introduction courses at a CC ?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

It won't hurt your application to medical school to take intro courses in biology and chemistry at the community college as long as you retake them in college at the required pre-med level.

The required pre-med courses need to be taken at a 4 year college as they need to be at the right intensity level that would qualify for someone who is majoring in that field. For example, it needs to be 1st year biology for someone majoring in biology, and 1st year chemistry for someone who is majoring in chemistry. The courses taught at the community college won't meet that requirement.

So, it won't hurt you any, but you'll need to retake them at a level that will be more challenging.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Sorry for turning the thread to me... but, I am pretty much in the same situation. I'm still in high school and I would like to start out at a community college in order to save some money and transfer to a better college than the ones that accepted me. Problem is that I want to transfer to a UC and major in Neuroscience... i checked the UC agreements with the cc for the neuroscience major and I need to take introductory courses to ALL the pre requisites of med school. So.. will I need to take all the courses at first year level once I transfer (and throw a year of my life away) or will some upper division courses in the subjects take over the intros taken at cc. Then, should I just get loans and go to a less prestigious 4-year college from the start?

ReplyQuote
Share: