Notifications
Clear all

bad pre-calc II grade

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

So I know you arent college advisors but I am in a pre-calc II class and not doing so great. I had to prioritize my studying for chemistry and got behind. I'm afraid I might end up with a grade that will skew my gpa significantly and I dont know what to do. It is also kind of a pride issue. I can not accept a 5 credit C- or a D on my transcript. I am a A/B student and have a 3.5 right now. I'm not sure wether to retake the class, or to audit it (that means its like it never happened), or accept the grade. I really want to go to OHSU (oregon...) and they suggest a math class besides statistics which I have already fulfilled. I was also reading some posts that say it isnt even required but my pre-med advisor suggested it. Do you think medical schools would turn me away with a grade like that? Or maybe turn me away because it affected my gpa? I dont want to be under qualified when applying so that's why I'm taking it. I am just confused, my pre-pharmacy friend has to take calculus for her program but from what I can see that isnt necessary for me. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I believe most med schools don't have a real requirements for math classes. If you have met OHSU's requirements without your pre-calc II class, then I'd opt to Audit the class - as you don't want a C or below on you transcript and factored into your GPA.

It may still show up on your transcript as a class you "audited" even though it won't show any grade or be factored into your GPA. It'd be pretty easy to just explain in interviews (if even asked) to say that you feel week in math and you wanted to take some more classes, but didn't want to have to worry about the grade, so you audited it. I doubt you'd get any more questions about it.

A bigger issue might be why you are struggling with a pre-calc class, but in reality, there is very little math required in medical school and in being a doctor for that matter. Sure, there are some aspects of physiology and other areas where it might help to be good at math, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thanks for the advice!

Math definatly is not my strongest subject. I also over extended myself this term with work, clubs, research and chemistry. Along with discovering that studying for chemistry and math is different than psychology or sociology. I'm thankful though because my study skills have improved greatly. 😀

ReplyQuote
(@mcvcom2007)

I am here to say I have a D on my transcript in Calc II and am also a MSII, Like my friends have sais most med schools are not as interested in the Math as they are Biologys and Chemistry. Heck I even have a C in organic...shame , shame. I am here to tell you to chill!!! First If you are already freaking about a grade you don't have yet Whoa, calm down. Second if you keep at this pace uptil med school freaking about every grade then you will burn out or crack before you can get to med school to panic about every grade. Yes, I had a D and Yes I had a C and yes I still came out with a 3.6 Science GPA. IT is not gonna kill you if you pick up slack in other classes, for example.. I score 4.0 from Junior year out. Med schools have a lot of other criteria to go on other than a pre-calc grade. Dare I say it? MCAT baby. Keep in mind the requirements of OHSU and find some friends that go there get the in! So relax make the decision to Audit I say if it is causing you that much stress it is not worth it an take a diff class and keep your focus where it needs to be Bio and Chem. Best of LUCK and DO NOT PANIC! 😀

Mary Carolyn C. Vinson, MSII
Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2265 Kraft Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060<a href="mailto: [email protected]">[email protected]

ReplyQuote
Share: