Transfer from foreign medical school to US medical school

Discussion forum for all medical education issues, including residency programs, medical schools, etc.

Transfer from foreign medical school to US medical school

Postby Amie-Marie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 am

I currently am attending medical school outside of the United States, in Costa Rica, but I am planning on moving back to the U.S. What requisites would I have to fill to be accepted in a school in the United States?
Amie-Marie

Re: Transfer from foreign medical school to US medical school

Postby DrDave » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 am

Transferring from an international medical school to a United States medical school is not easy. Based one what I've read, I would guess there are probably around 100 foreign medical students applying for EACH spot available for a transfer into a US medical school. It is possible, but not easy. I haven't pursued this process myself, so I don't have a whole lot of personal information to provide. However, it does appear that if you are not planning on a competitive residency, you'd have a better chance of matching into a US residency program once you've finished medical school, than getting accepted into a US medical school.

The AAMC has a section where you can find schools that accept international medical school transfers. When I looked, it seemed like only 3 medical schools are currently accepting foreign medical students.

There appears to be some good information from someone who successfully transferred from a Caribbean medical school to a US medical school here.

If you find some other good resources, feel free to share them here.
DrDave
Administrator

Return to Medical Education Discussions