Notifications
Clear all

Medical anthropology?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jfowler85)
Topic starter  

I am wondering about studies I should pursue, as they would relate to my interests in what type of doctor I want to be, should I make it into med school and graduate.

My only interest is some form of public service that involves reaching suffering communities or sub-communities that cannot afford or do not have access to adequate health care. Anything more specific than that I do not know yet.

I have a unique opportunity to fill my schedule with a minor study, or even another major, in addition to my biology major and pre-med concentration. As of this post I have yet to attend my scheduled meeting with my school's advisers.

Should I consider also minoring/majoring in anthropology with intention to study medical anthropology on a graduate level (with MD studies)? Should I pursue another type of study? Should I not worry about it until later?

Opinions from the folks of this forum are greatly appreciated, as always.

-Justin

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Justin,

The way I look at things is that a major should be in a field you would want to support yourself if medical school doesn't work out. A biology major is a reasonable field as you can do many different things after college - whether graduate school (other than medical school) or education or possible areas of industry.

A second major would be worthwhile if you think there is a different field you would possibly want to pursue aside from your first major. Otherwise, having a second major doesn't really mean much as far as applying to medical school. In my opinion, since a second major or a minor won't add to your med school application, there are two reasons you would want one. First - if you think there is another field you may want to pursue if medical school doesn't work out. Second - you are taking classes you want to take and they just so happen to meet the requirements for a major or minor.

In other words - outside of your major field(s) that provide a back-up option for med school, you should take classes that you want to take. You won't get the same kind of chance to take really cool, interesting classes outside of your ultimate professional field. If the field of anthropology is of interest to you, take anthropology classes.

As to ultimately working in under-served areas, it probably doesn't matter too much what sort of courses you take in college. You'll always have opportunities to work in impoverished areas. I can't think of any courses in particular that would be helpful in providing those services. It's great that you have a desire to do so, and hopefully you'll maintain that passion.

Let me know what your advisor suggests.

Bottom line: take the courses you need to pursue your desired career. Use the rest of your time in college to take stuff you find interesting that you may not get to learn about outside of college.

ReplyQuote
Share: