Notifications
Clear all

Took pre-med classes 7 years ago - do I need to retake them?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

HI-
My husband and I are planning to attend med school- the problem is we both graduated from college in 2003 and took the pre-reqs before that during our first two-three years (1999-2001). Are those grades still applicable or do we need to re-take all the courses again?
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I've heard mixed answers to the question of whether pre-med coursework has an "expiration date". Many people have said they had no issues with pre-med coursework they did up to 10 years before they applied to medical school; however, other people report some schools wanted more recent basic science coursework.

You will get a definite answer if you contact the medical schools of interest and ask them. That's what I'd do as you don't want to have any surprises.

Either way, you'll need to be VERY familiar with the science material for the MCAT exam.

If you do contact any medical schools and ask, I'd appreciate if you could post what they tell you as these sorts of things can always change over time.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

HI-
My husband and I are planning to attend med school- the problem is we both graduated from college in 2003 and took the pre-reqs before that during our first two-three years (1999-2001). Are those grades still applicable or do we need to re-take all the courses again?
Thanks.

I completed my basic sciences prerequisites from 2000 - 2004, and I was accepted into medical school this year. Since I did well on he MCAT, I believe it helped get around any concerns about my classes being old. As the previous poster mentioned, contact your schools of choice for the definitive answer.

ReplyQuote
Share: