Notifications
Clear all

community colleges and medical schools

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@argarg03)
Topic starter  

As of right now I am a first year student at Quinnipiac University. I really am not happy here and it is also too expensive for my parents and I. I really would like to transfer to Stony Brook University, but it is too late to apply for the fall 2010 semester. Many people have suggested that I go to the Community College for the Fall 2010 semester while I am applying to other colleges such as Stony Brook. I am worried that when it comes time for me to apply, Medical Schools will think negatively about me going to a Community College for only one semester. Is this a bad decision? I would be looking to attend community college for one semester just so that I am not completely putting a hold on my education. Would it be better if I just stayed here at Quinnipiac during that semester that I would be applying to other colleges? I would really prefer not to, but if it sounds like it would appeal Medical Schools more, then I would be willing to sacrifice.

Thanks in advance!!!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

That's a good question and I honestly don't have any data to support my answer. I would think that as long as you have a good explanation for why you chose the path you took, you are okay (assuming you have the grades and MCAT scores to support a good application). I personally think going to the community college for 1 semester makes a lot of sense, as long as you aren't going to prolong the time it'll take you to complete college and get all of your pre-med requirements done.

I don't think any admission's committee will fault you for making smart choices and based on what you've presented, this seems like a smart choice for you. Good grades and MCAT scores will easily outweigh any concerns you'd have about spending 1 semester at a community college.

Just remember that your community college science coursework won't count towards your pre-med requirements.

ReplyQuote
(@argarg03)
Topic starter  

I definitely want to stay away from taking any of my pre-med courses at the Community College, so then what courses should I take? Just the general education requirements? Is it okay that I wouldn't be taking science courses for one semester?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I would suggest taking general education courses that will meet requirements you'll need to graduate from your 4 year college - that way you will at least get some of your requirements out of the way. Just make sure they aren't any of the pre-med requirements you are taking as you'll have to take those again at the 4 year college.

It shouldn't be a problem at all that you aren't taking any science courses for the one semester.

ReplyQuote
Share: