Notifications
Clear all

Psychiatrist...starting at community college...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@busy-bee)
Topic starter  

I had a few questions regarding my path into the psychiatric field of medicine. I am an aspiring psychiatrist, a senior in high school, graduating in about three months...and kind of confused.

I am going to be attending a community college this coming fall. I know I can obviously not get the credentials I need to become a psychiatrist from a CC, as well as I am aware of the four years of pre-med, and then four years of med school plus residency afterward. However, my question comes in here. Are there classes I could take in community college that could possibly transfer to a four year college (pre-med)? Or am I totally wasting my time at the CC? I was thinking I may save a bit of money, but in the long run, I actually may be spending more. I know regardless, medical school is a an expensive expenditure, whatever the case though I am willing to go through. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Most of the non pre-med courses should transfer and count as credits towards graduation at a 4 year university. Obviously check with the 4 year university you are considering and see if they have rules about which credits will transfer and count towards graduation.

I think it is a very reasonable option, given the high cost of education. The only issue would be that you would be taking most of your pre-med courses later in college and it may delay when you can take the MCAT and apply to medical school.

ReplyQuote
(@busy-bee)
Topic starter  

Okay! I was seeing so many discrepancies as to whether going to a CC before a pre-med university would "ruin" your chances of being accepted into med school. My plan was though to go to CC, work on skills (such as some of the sciences and maths) I am not up to par with and then go to pre-med school with a very good understanding of the subjects (or at least better than I would have had). Of course it will be extra money in the long run I suppose (doing the CC first), however, I know it is crucial not to get failing or border line failing grades in pre-med. CC will be somewhat of a guinea pig I suppose? I'm not sure if I am totally off in calling it that...

Would there be anything inparticular I should major in at the CC to get my associate's degree in (Ex. psychology, chemistry, biology etc. - even though some won't count toward pre-med and I may end up retaking them)?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Busy Bee,

You can major in any field you like in Community College and college in general, as long as you take the required pre-med courses at the four year college. Aside from the pre-med courses and the courses you'll be required to take to graduate (and fulfill a major), I'd suggest you take classes that interest you. Once you are in medical school, you won't be able to take those interesting non-science classes.

As an FYI - you will want to make sure you do work hard in Community College as your grades will be seen by the medical schools to which you are applying.

ReplyQuote
Share: