Notifications
Clear all

Physical Requirements for Medical School and Residency

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees and am missing portions of my femur to do this condition. I cannot squat, lift, kneel, or stand still beyond 30 minute intervals. My final goal is Psychiatry, which will not be an issue for me. Would I be able to handle the rigors of Medical school and the residencies beyond? What are the physical requirements, if any, for this educational path?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

*due to

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

llevans42,

This is a very good question, and unfortunately, I really don't know much in this area. If you do find out some good information in this area, I would appreciate if you could share with the other forum readers.

I did try doing some searching online and it seemed the most useful information came up when I googled "disabilities and medical school". One article that covers more of the legal aspects of disabilities and medical school is here . Hopefully the link will work.

I also had some success searching for "physical disabilites and medical school" which led to articles such as this one and this New York Times article.

If you are academically qualified for medical school, and very motivated, I would suggest trying to track down one of the authors on these studies of disabilities and medical schools and see if they can give you more insight into what the challenges are you would face.

I agree that psychiatry likely would not be a problem in practice, but the training in medical school and residency would be a challenge. I would hope that medical schools and residency programs can make appropriate accommodations.

Best of luck, and please do let me know what you find out.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Looking through the AAMC website, I also found this book called Medical Students with Disabilities: Resources to Enhance Accessibility which is described as:

December 2010, 140 Pages
A new publication, Medical Students with Disabilities: Resources to Enhance Accessibility does not replace the technical standards guide published by the AAMC in 2005 (Medical Students with Disabilities: A Generation of Practice) but rather speaks to the current state of resources available to medical schools as they accept and matriculate a growing number of medical students with a wide range of disabilities. Specifically, there is an emphasis in this publication on the assistive technologies available for medical students.

ReplyQuote
Share: