Clear all

Chance with 3.2 GPA and 28 MCAT

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@swimmer7590)
Topic starter  

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am currently a junior and will be taking the MCAT this June. on my practice tests i have been averaging around a 28-29 so it might even get up to 30 by the time i have to take the MCAT. I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on the likelihood of my acceptance into a medical school (MD/DO doesn't matter).

To give you guys a run down of myself so you can accurately access me here is some of the stuff I am involved in as it has alot to do with the lower GPA then the average applicant. I am very passionate about helping people.

Few things i am involved in:

Band- Secretary and class rep
Captain of our Club Ultimate Frisbee team
Honors biology program (Tribeta) secretary
RA (resident assistant) - 3 years in dorms
Jazz band and Pep Band
Jazz Choir

my Volunteer experience includes:
2 years of Vol in hospital: 3 hours a week
Adopt a Grandparent Program which deals with Alzheimer patients at a nursing home- 1.5 hours a week for 1.5 years
Big buddies program- (Paired with a mentally handicap person and do things with them) 5 hours a month for 2 years

I also held an internship this past summer at a Food and Drug testing company and worked for their bio-analytical department.

Let me know what you guys think and what i can do to help improve my chances. Thank you all so much!

ReplyQuote
(@swimmer7590)
Topic starter  

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There's a few threads here about MCAT and GPA requirements for medical school.

Here's one with the average MCAT and GPA for medical schools

I just realized in some of the other threads the links are outdated, but luckily, there is a lot of good new data on the web. I just did a quick search and came across this table which has very detailed data on MCAT and GPA scores of applicants and matriculants.

Based on that table, an MCAT score of 27-29 and a GPA of 3.20-3.39 had an acceptance rate of 25.9%

I would think your other experiences are pretty similar to most people applying to medical school so it probably won't make much of a difference. The best thing you can do is improve your GPA and score well on the MCAT. Of course, you are already probably doing as much as possible on that front.

ReplyQuote
(@swimmer7590)
Topic starter  

Thanks DrDave!

I really appreciate it and for having this website. It has been very helpful 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: