Medical School after going to college in foreign country

Discussion forum for all medical education issues, including residency programs, medical schools, etc.

Medical School after going to college in foreign country

Postby sarahtownsend » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 am

Hi,
I am an American student and just graduated high school. I have been thinking about medical school for quite some time and want to make sure I stay on track for it throughout college. The problem is that I will be attending college in a foreign country and since the degree programs are so different from the U.S., I'm worried my classes won't transfer and my degree will be considered invalid. In England, a BA is only three years long and the courses are very focused on your area of study, completely disregarding most other areas. I won't be able to take general education, so I'll lack the year of English, Math etc. that are the requirements for med school. Should I take these courses at a community college during my summer breaks? Will this sufficiently supplement my degree? (I'll be studying Biology) Any advice you can offer would be extremely helpful- I'm feeling a bit discouraged at the moment.
Thank you!
Sarah
sarahtownsend

Re: Medical School after going to college in foreign country

Postby DrDave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 am

Sarah,

First off, math and english aren't requirements for medical school. The requirements are 1 year of general chemistry, 1 year biology, 1 year organic chemistry, and 1 year of physics. Only a very few medical schools require calculus.

However, the bigger question is how going to a foreign college will impact your ability to get into a US medical school. I am not personally familiar with this issue and I've only been able to find a limited amount of information online. As best I can tell, if you are a US citizen and take pre-med level classes at a good international college, and you do well on your MCAT, you should be considered equally with US citizens who went to college in the US.

I would suggest you call your state school's medical school and ask to speak to someone in admissions. Ask them specifically if they would consider a US applicant from an international college. They would be able to give you the best advice.

If you happen to give them a call, I'd appreciate if you could post a follow-up with what they told you.

Best of luck!
DrDave
Administrator

Return to Medical Education Discussions