Notifications
Clear all

What do I need to do???

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jjshope)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! I am currently a 20 year old, holding an AS in Criminal Justice, and finally deciding I wanted to go to Medical School all along... My undergrad GPA for CJ was 3.8, and I took Anatomy and Physiology I, Human Biology, Organic Chemistry, and Intro Physics. I know this won't be enough to get into Medical School, so should I re-apply to a university to get more required courses, take some classes at my local Community College, or what? I am a good student, and study my butt off, so hopefully good grades won't be too hard to obtain, I just need some advice on what I should do to get in. I am thinking of joining the Air Force, but I am still researching ways for them to help me with med school. It seems like I'll have to get accepted before the Air Force will help me out at all... Well thanks for any help that you can give me!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Depending on the college you got yoru AS at, I'm not sure that your biology and organic chemistry class would count towards the pre-med requirements. Were you able to take organic chemistry without general chemistry as a pre-requisite?

From what I remember, many colleges had specific classes for pre-med students - the biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry were classes that would meet medical schools expectations of the course. Basically, the biology, general chemistry, and organic chemistry should be the same level of classes that people majoring in those fields would have to take. For example, the first year biology class would be the same as those that a biology major would take, same for chemistry, etc.

I would not take the classes at a community college. People who I know from medical school took their classes at a local university, where they studied part time, but also were able to work.

I'm not sure about the Air Force questions.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I received my degree from a four year school, and numerous people in my classes were pre-med, chemistry, or biology majors, I just decided I wanted to take the two year degree instead of the four year.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

The best way I can explain it is that you would have had to have taken first year biology that biology majors take, 1st year chemistry that chemistry majors take, general physics, and organic chemistry that chemistry majors would take.

If the classes meet those requirements, then you should be fine. Based on what you said, though, it sounded like the biology classes were not exactly 1st year biology required for biology majors but just other classes in the biology curriculum.

If you have any doubts about it, you should really contact an advisor at your college and ask their opinion - they will probably be able to tell you right away whether those classes are considered satisfactory for the pre-med requirements.

ReplyQuote
Share: