Clear all

psychiatrist or dentist..

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hello,
this is a UCR student who wants to enter medical school. I have read a lot of your premed-related threads and those were really helpful in determining which classes I need to take. Thank u
Anyways.. let me introduce more,
I am a junior right now.. and undeclared major.
I was thinking about selecting psychology as major but I was afraid that if I take psychology major course.... WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THE PREMED COURSES...That was the problem. u see... to be a psychiatrist, I have to go pre med and residency, around 9 yrs from now on to become a psychiatrist... the thing is I want to finish school as soon as possible...
So I was thinking about to go for BIOLOGY major.
However.... I do not have good GPA 2.5
I was not serious at the beginning...
but after reading these threads and I am more clear about my future, and I want to dedicate myself more into the study.
so let me throw some questions.
1)I am pretty sure what classes I need to take in order to get into med school. but other than records and the MCAT, I am not pretty sure about.... extracurriculums, researches, volunteers, activities....
I do not know where to get those points. could u please clarify and explain them t o me.
2)in terms of letter of recommendations, how do I get it and how do I qualify for that?
3)Let's say... at the end of the my senior year, I made it up to near 3.2 and got accepted to some unfamous med school.
Is it possible to transfer to other med school? and... if so, what are the requirements they look at when u transfer from med to med school?
4)I read about post BAC programs....
so... lets say... I graduated UCR with BA in psychology with.. 3.3 GPA
and I finished post BAC program with 3.6 GPA.
would 3.3 GPA considered overall GPA and 3.6 as pre med GPA?
4)How is grading system like in premed school? Is is like undergraduate?
5) ok. In terms of medical school, there are many subdivisions right? ( such as psychiatry, pharmacy, surgeon... etc)
I want to be a psychiatrist, and if I apply, do I need to select which subdivision I want to get in? and... depending on the subdivisions, would the acceptance rate and. gpa requirement and MCAT different?
5)I was very interested in going into dental school too. In fact, their acceptance was less competitve than premed school.
I made some researches and I found out that in order to get into dental school, I must take certain sciences classes that are almost same as premed courses. and DAT was required. Do you know how much Do I have to study to become a dentist?
6)I would like to know how much a psychiatrist make per year vs psychologist.
Thank you

ps)
I really want you to see my transcript whether I would be eligible to enter medical or dental school.

bshin002@student.ucr.edu is my email

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but there are a lot of questions there and I needed to get in the mood to answer all of the questions. For several reasons, I'm still working on shifting over the discussions as much as possible to my new medical education website. Given all of the questions you asked, I've broken down my answers into several different posts in the new forum:

Extracurriculars, Research, and Volunteering as part of your med school application

Letters of recommendation for Medical School

Issues with transferring between medical schools

GPA of Pre-medical Post-Baccalaureate Programs

Grades in Medical School

When do you select a medical specialty?

Requirements for getting into dental school

Psychologists compared to psychiatrists - salary info in the second post

I would suggest you have your college advisor review your transcript and let you know if you are a good candidate for medical and dental school.

[ Edited by Admin on 2007/2/2 22:57 ]

ReplyQuote
Share: