Clear all

Pre-Med Requirements/College Prerequisites

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@sarina)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I'm a senior in high school this fall and in order to better understand and ready myself for pre-med school, I went to my local college for information and a plan to start taking classes. The counselor there told me that first I needed to take a normal general education class to start college-any class, apparently it is to "adjust" myself to college level courses, which seems reasonable although not something that seems essential- then take math and English placement tests to matriculate to the college.
These are the course requirements for pre-medicine from my college:
Lower-division Preparation: BIO 3A, 3B; CHEM 1A, 1B, 12A, 12B;
PHYS (2A and 2B) or (4A and 4B) (preferred); MATH 3A, 3B; ENG
1A, 1B and an additional English course.
After being placed, I would have to take all the prerequisites for the sciences, which include extra math and science classes before I can even start taking the pre-med required courses-which also have corequisites. This year in high school, I'll be taking statistics, physics, and advanced composition to ready myself for the college leveled courses. I've heard of people who, right after high school, directly take the pre-med classes without most of the prerequisites just because they took the classes in high school. Is it based on college requirements? Their scores on the placement tests? Or does everyone go through all this? Furthermore, even if I did take the placement tests, what if my score in math isn't how they would like it? Does that mean I have to take continuous math classes until I'm at the level I need to be on for the science course(s)?
I only want to enhance my understanding of the process into pre-med school, and whether these requirements are part of the process and onward climb to pre-med school, then med school. All information is welcome to me, even a bit of criticism, this way I have one less question to ask and am one step closer to the path I want to take.
Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Share: