Notifications
Clear all

Physics and math at community college - pre-med

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am a senior biology B.S. major and am minoring in biochemistry. I have a 3.4 GPA but it's hopefully going up. I am attending Texas A&M University, but I have taken my one year of physics and one year of math at a community college over the past summers. I am wondering if that would hurt my chances of getting into med school, since I have taken so many hours at a community college? Also, if it doesn't hurt my chances would it be okay to take my one year of anatomy/physiology at a community college also this summer? I can graduate early if I do.

Thank you for your time,
Shanna Sherwood

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I understand that it is frowned upon to take the required courses at a community college but I have already taken my one year of physics, and one year of math at a community college. I am wondering if my chances of getting into med school have dropped significantly now? I have completed general chem, org chem, biochem, and biology at a prestigious university. Also would it hurt my chances more if I were to take anatomy and physiology at a community college. I can graduate early if I do. Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I'm not sure how much physics and math at a community college will affect your application. In my opinion (which is purely my opinion and I would check with a pre-med advisor) is that taking those classes at a community college is not as big of a deal as taking bio/chem/organic chem at a community college. Math is not required by all medical schools so you should be safe there. As for physics - I can't really say. It might be worth calling a few admission's boards at medical schools and see if you can get an answer from them directly. If you do, please post your experiences here.

Anatomy and physiology are not generally required classes, as long as you've taken a year of bio, a year of chem, and a year of organic chemistry. Taking additional courses at a community college shouldn't hurt you any, as long as you get decent grades.

ReplyQuote
Share: