Notifications
Clear all

Medical school

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Are there any schools that accept work as a Nurse Practitioner for accelerated acceptance into medical school?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I'm not sure what you mean by accelerated acceptance. I don't believe any medical school would accept you without having completed the required pre-med classes, regardless of what your experience had been.

As for being able to skip some of the classes in medical school - I am not really sure. My first thought is that the nursing courses would not be that similar to the medical school classes - but perhaps they are more similar than I think. If so, a medical school may allow you to skip those courses. Obviously, the clinical experience a nurse practitioner has would be very advantageous in many respects. However, the experience may also work against someone in medical school as nursing training is markedly different from medical training (from what I understand at least).

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Your nursing experience may be considered a plus by some medical schools, but I would be very surprised if it altered anything about the application or acceptance process, or about the requirements for completion of medical school courses.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

My medical school class has members from a variety of different allied health professions. We have a PA, several RNs, a DC, and some others.

Some of these students (at my school, University of New England) were allowed to test out of certain classes because they had taken them before, but the review of their academic credentials was apparently quite rigorous.

It will likely depend on the medical school, and the level of your previous coursework. At UNE, for example, the Gross Anatomy class for PAs is far less demanding than the course for medical students, so PAs are usually out of luck in that regard.

Best of luck to you... 🙂

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: