Notifications
Clear all

Med School

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I have a question. I just recently completed my freshman year at the University of Illinois Chicago. I am majoring in Biological Sciences and minoring in Chemistry. I did very bad my first semester, a 3.8 out of 5 with 30 credit hours achieved. I am very driven and i want to get into medical school at all expenses, i have decided to study like 24/7 now. I am also an athlete there in cross country and track. Am i too late to bad of a GPA to even attempt to be accepted or is there still hope? What other activities can i participate in as well. Thanks
Jim Sulzberger UIC

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I apologize for the delay in responding - sometimes my day job keeps me busy 🙂

I think that your first semester GPA can be explained as an "adjustment" period when starting college, but you would probably want to be able to explain why you had a more difficult "adjustment" period than other people applying for medical school. Based on a 3.8 GPA, I'm guessing this means that you had B's and C's. I think that you can still get into medical school having gotten a C in a science class, especially if you do well the rest of college and do well on your MCATs. I have heard some people suggest people re-take the pre-med science classes they did poorly in to demonstrate that they are able to get good grades in those classes - I honestly don't know how helpful this is.

As for your main question whether it is too late or not, I think there is still hope - although I personally don't have anything definitive to base this on. Unfortunately I have never sat on any admissions committees to see what sort of grades would absolutely rule someone out.

Other activities are helpful to show that you are well rounded and interested in medicine. The main other activities that can be beneficial include doing research or volunteering in a hospital. I don't think either of these make a huge difference, but that could be because most people applying to medical school seem to have this experience.

I think you also may want to think about why it was that you have now decided to become so dedicated to medicine, whereas you weren't so dedicated at the start of your Freshman year - if you have an interesting explanation, that can certainly help when you write your personal statement and/or when you interview.

I hope that helps - but remember, my answers are my best guesses and nothing definitive.

ReplyQuote
Share: