Notifications
Clear all

little bit nontraditional. How will I look to Med schools?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@heyeveryone)
Topic starter  

Hello.

I am considering medical school, I am curious to know how I will likely do in the application procress.

Here is a bit about myself.

I'm 25 right now, with a BA in Music 3.0 GPA from a regional school. I am confidant I can do very well in the premed course work and would be surprised if I don't get a 4.0 if I take it at a community college.

I test pretty well and have an LSAT of 170 and GRE of 530/790 but never applied to any post grad programs, came close to law but I don't like the market for lawyers.

I've spent the past 4 years since undergrad traveling and playing online poker professionally, I've been successful but don't want to be a professiaonl gambler my whole life.

What type of medical school options would likely be open to me?

Thanks a lot.

PS any other advice is apprieciated as well

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You can't take the pre-med courses at a community college. You'd need to take them from a 4 year college, as you need to take the level of those science classses that someone who is majoring in that field would need to take. Depending on where you take the courses, the pre-med courses can be very challenging even for the brightest students.

You certainly do have an interesting story and I'm not sure how an admission committee would look upon someone who is a professional gambler. Poker players have gained some respect in the past decade given the TV exposure; although, I think most people will equate poker playing with gambling and games of chance. Gambling typically makes people think of vices, although I understand that poker can be a bit different.

The 3.0 GPA is low compared to most medical school applicants and you would need to do much better in your pre-med courses. If you do well in those courses and do well on the MCAT, your chances of getting in will be much better. I am going to guess that how you spent your time the last few years will be mostly seen as a negative, but if you can write an interesting and compelling application essay about how it has taught you things that will make you a better doctor, it may reduce some of the negative impact on some admissions committees.

ReplyQuote
Share: