Clear all

I need some information by Friday!!!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello,
I am informing my class of the occupation that I would like to be in and I would like to be a Pediatric Psychiatrist. I need some information on how many years you needed to be in school, what degree you have, how much money school costed, and where you are at today. Please reply with this information. I am very grateful for your help. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I don't know if there are any child psychiatrists who frequent this board, but I had considered the field.

You need to go to undergraduate (regular) college which usually takes 4 years. Then you have to go to medical school which is another 4 years. Then you have to do a psychiatry residency, which is 4 years. Then you have to do a child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship which is 2 years. You can actually start the fellowship in your 4th year of psychiatry residency, so it totals 5 years after medical school.

As for costs - I'm not sure what must undergraduate colleges are costing, but I would guess going to University of Illinois is probably around $15,000-$20,000 a year, and that doesn't cover living expenses. Medical schools are probably $30,000-$45,000 a year (it's been a while, so it could be a lot more).

During residency, you are paid around $40k-$50k per year - but you work a huge amount of hours.

Hope this info helps.

ReplyQuote
Share: