Notifications
Clear all

How does one become a coroner?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

what sort of studies and requirements must one engage in to become a coroner?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

if you find out while you send me the results. You can't find #### on the internet. 😡 🙁 😕

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Okay, okay, so I'm a little slow to respond to some messages that are a little outside of my area of expertise. As for finding stuff on the internet, you just need to know where to look. I did a Google search for "how to become a coroner" and of course the first answer is this thread...hmm...

Second try: Google search for "how to become a forensic pathologist"

Much better 🙂

Here's a few that look interesting on first look:

and

Forensic Medical website

here's a few quotes from the second site (hopefully they don't mind me stealing their text - if someone there has a problem with me posting this here, let me know):

How do I become a forensic pathologist?
The training period is long and difficult. First you need to become a physician and graduate from either a medical or osteopathic school. After graduation, you would enter training (residency) in pathology and forensic pathology, which is currently a six year process. You would then be eligible to sit for examinations in order to become board certified in pathology and forensic pathology.

How do I become a medical examiner?
In most jurisdictions in the United States, a medical examiner needs to be a licensed physician. In some cases specialized training in forensic pathology is required (see previous question). This is typically an appointed position. Courses in death investigation are available for those without previous training or experience from a variety of sources.

Hope that helps give you a start.

[ Edited by Admin on 2005/1/28 18:29 ]

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

It depends on the state. Howerver generally there are no requirements to be a Coroner other than the ability to be a good public speaker. Most Coroner positions are elected. To be a medical examiner you need to be a forensic pathologist, perferably board certified so that your testimony in court will not be challenged.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

What type of schooling is needed to become a coroner?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

What type of schooling is needed?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

See the response above I posted - if it isn't clear, please ask more clearly what aspect of schooling you are inquiring about. I believe the resources I listed above should answer any questions you could have.

ReplyQuote
Share: