Notifications
Clear all

Help - Am I in the right program if I want to go to MedSchoo

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi, I'm currently enrolled as a Biological Engineer student at the University of Guelph, and my long term goal is to get into Med School and someday become a doctor of sorts.

I've been having doubts as of late about the program I'm in, I have some friends who are in regular science or life science programs, and they are planning on going to Med School also.

Sometimes it frustrates me that their course load will ultimately be A LOT easier than mine, yet med schools will treat all applicants equally. I'm just wondering if it's still worth it to continue in Bio Eng... everytime I look at the course list I'm reminded of how hard things are going to get in 3rd and 4rth year.

The main reason I chose Biological Engineering is because I know things always change, and I may not get into med school or I may just change my mind... and at that point if I'm stuck with a regular science degree... I'll either have to pursue graduate studies with it or become a type of lab researcher (NOT interested).

Would you have any opinion on this problem I have? Im really kind of stuck 🙁

Thanks

-David Ho

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey there, David:

I would say the main question (which I didn't glean from your posting) is -- do you still LIKE Bio-Eng? That is pretty dang important, in my mind. Yeah, it is probably harder than some of your friends' programs, but if you like it... it's worth it.

If you want to go to medical school, and you like Bio-Eng, you can certainly finish your degree and then apply. If you happen to have a lower GPA from taking harder classes, well, medical schools would be silly to ignore that!

If you dislike Bio-Eng, then it might be better to do something else that you enjoy. At least, that is how I see it. As you mentioned, you need to have a backup plan.

Applicants will come to med school from all sorts of different backgrounds, but yours will be unique to you if you let it, no matter what you study. Make it your own!

I wish you luck no matter what you decide to do. 🙂

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: