Notifications
Clear all

Got a book but....

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Will it still hold validity for a freshman in undergrad school this year? It is called the complete medical school preparation and admissions guide by Dr. Andrew Goliszek
3rd edition.
I am a bit worried because this was published in 2000 and I will be applying to med schools in 2008

do standards change a lot over the course of 8 year? thjankxs

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

First, for those interested, here's some more information about the particular book:

The Complete Medical School Preparation and Admissions Guide

You can see from the reivews that the book does get very good reviews. A recent review said that the information is outdated, particularly the part about the schools.

I don't have the book myself, but if there are parts of the book that describe specific medical schools, then it would make sense that the book would get outdated fairly quickly.

My own guess is that the majority of the book will be applicable for a while still, as the medical school requirements haven't changed since I started medical school in 1992 and the MCAT hasn't changed much since before that time. Medical school courses don't change that much - although every few years you hear more about some new trend that tends to fade in time. When I was in medical school, it was "Problem Based Learning" and a few schools had alternative curriculum that taught using just a problem based learning approach.

I think that the information in that book should be helpful for you now. Obviously, as you get closer to applying to medical school, you may want to see if there is a more recent edition to cover those areas that are outdated - which will mostly be the information about specific medical schools.

[ Edited by Admin on 2005/1/30 9:25 ]

ReplyQuote
Share: