Notifications
Clear all

Good med schools for someone like myself?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@onelove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am a freshman right now. Next semester i will be attending SUNY Geneseo as a premed student with a possibility of double majoring in pyschology and biology. What are some med schools that I can set my goals on? Obviously I am interested in psychiatry specifically, but I am interested in a more therapy related pyschiatry.

Thanks all!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

It is really too early to be thinking about which medical schools to focus on applying to. A lot will depend on what kind of grades you are able to get and your MCAT scores - so focus on that for now.

I would recommend you go the best medical school you are capable of getting accepted to, regardless of their quality of their psychiatry department (of course take into account cost and location that is appropriate for you).

If you already know you want to be a psychiatrist, you will want to make sure you get excellent experiences in the non-psychiatric fields in medical school - as you will only be exposed to those areas in medical school. The only potential risk is that if the psychiatry program is REALLY bad, then you may get turned off from the field - but this is unlikely as even the worst departments typically have at least one good faculty member who can function as a mentor.

If you do well at a top medical school, you'll have a great selection of psychiatry residency programs to apply to - and you'll then get the excellent psychiatric training you want.

ReplyQuote
Share: