2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

what are some good colleges to go to to major in psychiatry

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

In college, you wouldn't be majoring in psychiatry. Psychiatry is a medical specialty for doctors after medical school.

In college, you can major in psychology. I'm not sure off hand which colleges are considered the best for that. I know that Emory, where I went for undergrad, had a strong psychology department. A lot also depends on what type of psychology experience you want - are you going to pursue clinical psychology or research psychology? Are you going to go on to get a graduate degree in psychology, or pursue a different field?

If you meant to ask, which colleges are good to go to if you ultimately want to be a psychiatrist, I'd suggest you go to the college you like the best, that has good departments in areas of interest to you. You'll then go to medical school after college. Psychiatry residency programs are not very competitive, so you don't need to go to the best medical school in order to become a psychiatrist; however, you will want to go to a good medical school so that you get good, well-rounded training as a physician.

ReplyQuote
Share: