Notifications
Clear all

family & med school?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@squeakyuk)
Topic starter  

I'm currently getting a BSc psychology degree. I'm considering trying to become a child psychiatrist.
However, I'm 22, married and have a 1 year old. I know med school is really hard and lots of work but is it possible to raise a family and go to med school and all that?
My husband and I are considering having him go and get his masters first since I'm going to be in school forever whether it be for a psychologist or psychiatrist. But how is the financial situation? We're going to be 100k in debt when we graduate next year (we're both studying abroad in the UK).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be posting lots of questions.
~Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

No doubt it is difficult to put in the sacrifices necessary to get through medical training. Certainly the debt accumulation is stressful. I think it all depends on the degree to which you want it, how much sacrifice you are willing to bear, how your marraige and family will deal with your commitment to your training. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. From a financial point of view, you will end up better off in the long run as a psychiatrist than in your average-paying occupation, although it will take a long time for that to come to fruition. Your decision. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Regarding debt - it's definitely a big issue. Generally you can get "forbearance" of your loans throughout your residency training. Most of the loans will continue to accumulate interest during that time, though, and you will certainly have a huge pile of debt when you finish residency. In spite of that, generally there are payment plans that are reasonable, but it essentially like having a second mortgage payment to make each month.

Regarding going to medical school with a child - it definitely can be done, but it is an additional challenge. I have known woman who successfully completed medical school having had children before, during, and after medical school (during residency).

I think having a supportive spouse is extremely valuable, but not always present either.

Basically - I agree with Polymath. It's tough to really suggest to people what they should do as everyone is different, especially when you start bringing in a spouse and a child into the equation.

ReplyQuote
Share: