Clear all

Does It take longer?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi everybody.

I think Med-psych net is great.Im sort of a regular on here,and I saw some replies that that people gave about community college and the people that were going to them should do.It said that you should go there for the 2 year program.Then when applying to a 4 year college you should take them again at the 4year college.So my question would be:

1.Instead of 4 years of college, would it turn into 6 years.How much longer would it take.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hi there...

Nah, it doesn't take 6 years! The first two years at the CC count (in many -- or even most -- cases) as the first two years of a bachelor's degree. Hence, when you transfer, you are usually within spitting distance (2 years) of completing your BS/BA/BWhatever.

This is especially often the case with in-state transfers from a CC to a state college within the same state. For me, for example, I was guaranteed junior status coming out of my AA degree.

Now, that being said, you COULD have additional time added on if you wait to take your pre-med courses at the 4-year school. You need to finish those classes before taking the MCAT, so it might put you a year behind on the medical school application process. If you are super freaked out by that, my advice would be:

1) Don't be.

and

2) If you still are, then just don't opt to go the CC route. (But do try to mellow out some. IMHO, there are plenty of high-stress, annoying pre-med students out there, and probably not enough who enjoy the ride and the process as much as possible.)

Hope that helps!

Good luck with everything... 😉

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: