Notifications
Clear all

Do Med schools look at your year 1 chem/bio courses, or just

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hey, I was just wondering what med schools look at in particular when it comes to your grades?

Thanks!

-Dave

ReplyQuote
(@jl87d)

wrote: Do Med schools look at your year 1 chem/bio courses, or just

Dave,

They look at both your over all GPA (it should exceed at least 3.2), and the GPA for just you science courses, pacifically the pre-med courses (it should exceed at least 3.4). Generally speaking the grades for your science courses, along with your mcats will carry the most weight in the admissions process.

Jl87d,
🙂 (-:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

So the overall GPA of both year 1+2, or just year2?

Thanks!

-Dave

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

When I applied, you had to separate your GPA on applications, with overall GPA, science GPA, and non-science GPA. It is a total of your GPA from all years you've been in college. So, years 1+2+3, not just year 2 or just year 3, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Yep, they look at the whole kitten-kaboodle. Or kit-and-kaboodle. Whichever...

When I was applying, they looked at my science grades from my community college years, my university years, my graduate school years, AND my post-bac science class years. As Doc Admin points out, they come up with a GPA for your science classes, non-science classes, and all the classes together.

You create your application on-line, nowadays, which makes data entry (of every single college class you have ever taken) a real pain in the rump, but the calculations are then pretty easy.

Bottom line, once you start college, THE GRADES COUNT! You will have to account for all of them, so do the best that you can, and learn the stuff that will be on the MCAT.

Good luck!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: