Clear all

College Graduate Considering Going Back to Medical School

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi,

I just finished my business studies degree but I've since realised that I have very little interest in the subject or the careers now available to me. When I finished college I didn't know what I wanted to do at university and under pressure to choose something, I just went with business studies, something I found easy but was never very passionate about. I have an overwhelming urge to help people and I don't feel I'll ever be happy in with my current employment prospects but I've always been facinated by psychology (even though I've never studied it persay!). I want to change career and believe it'll be best if I did so ASAP but I'm already in considerable debt which I ran up while studying business, compounding this is the current recession which is making it hard to find a decent job that pays well enough for me to quickly repay my debts and start saving to return to university. Futhermore, I didn't take the appropriate subjects back in school/college to prepare me for medical school and while studying business I put very little effort into my degree. I like to think I'm an intelligent person, but taking a subject that I didn't really want to do killed my motivation & has since made me doubt my ability to start afresh in a new field which I have no experiance in.

I guess what I want to know is:

1a) What would be the best way to go back to university considering my financial situation?
1b) Is taking out some sort of loan a good idea since I'm already in considerable debt?
1c) The job I've got right now is boring the socks off me and the pay is pretty attrocious, it's more like secretary work, I feel totally under appreciated and like I've wasted my time going to university but it was hard enough getting this job and I'm reluctant to leave now because at least it's an income. Any suggestions? Would you just get a loan and deal with the debt later?
1d) I know this is a silly question as only I would really know the answer (even though I don't!), but I'm hoping to hear from somone who's had, or knows somone who's been through a similar experiance that I can draw confidence from. How hard is it to start again? Do you know anyone who's finished their education just to realise they've taken the wrong path, somone who has lost their passion for life but was still able to go back to the drawing board and take control of their future? I've certainly heard many stories about people getting stuck in a dead end job that they don't enjoy and just accepting it and that hardly fills me with optimism. 😥

2a) How big an obstacle is it that I've taken the wrong subjects in the past?
2b) Although unrelated, would my business degree work in my favour when applying to medical schools?
2c) Would it be nessessary to take another degree (such as biology or psychology) just to secure a place in a medical school?

3a) I'm desperately unhappy, I have been for several years now and I need to break free soon because I'm nearing my threshold. At first I couldn't understand why, which is part of the reason I'm so interested in psychology (so I can better understand myself), and I've since come to suspect it is because I'm not doing anything that I can take pride in, I feel I need self fulfillment if I'm ever going to overcome this depression but I'm afraid of the consequences if I fail. What should I do?! What is the best way to follow my dream?
3b) If you were me, what would your plan of action be?

Well, thanks for the advice, I know it's a little off topic...

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You may want to try googling "non-traditional medical student" for more resources on people who decide to go to medical school after they've already graduated college. Many of those individuals have already worked in one field before going back to medical school. There were several people in my medical school class who had other jobs before going back to medical school. Those that I spoke to had gone to school in the evenings part-time to take their pre-med courses. I have no idea how they financed it, but they likely did have to take out additional loans. I think you can get "forebearance" for your undergraduate loans while you are in medical school and residency - basically your loans will continue to accumulate interest but you won't have to make payments until you are done with residency.

Clearly going back to graduate school of any kind can be a very expensive process - both financially and emotionally.

Also, before I do my best to answer your specific questions I think you should know that there is a difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist. There is a bit of information about the differences between psychology and psychiatry in this thread. You mention having an interest in psychology - and there is a big difference between what a psychologist does and what a psychiatrist does. While both professions deal with people who have psychological issues, psychiatrists tend to work with sicker individuals including those with very serious mental illnesses. Psychologists work with a variety of individuals, but usually people the individuals are higher functioning. The training is also extremely different - the path of medical school and psychiatry residency is WAY more intense than the path to be a clinical psychologist. If your interest in in providing psychotherapy for people, then I would suggeset you become a psychologist. If you want to work with sicker individuals and prescribing medications to address those problems, then the medical school / psychiatrist pathway may be for you.

On to the specifics, assuming the medical school / psychiatry path:
1a - I think it might be best to take the premed classes while going to school part time and continuing to keep your job. That way if things don't work out with medical school, you still have your current job.
1b - obviously increased debt is a risk. I'm not sure how many other options you have if you are set on medical school.
1c - while your current job sucks - it is a job. In this economy a job is a job. The question is whether it is possible that you may find another job that would utilize your skills and experience that will be better. There is no harm in looking for other work, but I wouldn't quit your current job while you are looking. If you do a good job at your current job, and you keep your eyes and ears open, you may find another opportunity that will be more satisfying.
1d - there are plenty of people who change careers and are satisfied doing it. I've met several people that went back to medical school after having a career in an unrelated field. They seemed happy with their decision, but I never really asked what their financial situation was when they made the switch. I would think that the sooner you make the change, the easier. I also think that you should try to be more hopeful about options that may be closer than you realize in related fields. You could always take additional college courses in related topics to what you are doing now that may improve your job options.

2a - you'll just need to take the pre-med courses now. Not a huge deal. Just make sure you take them at a college that offers real pre-med courses that you'll need for medical school - not watered down versions of the classes.
2b - it really doesn't matter what your undergrad degree is. It won't work for you or against you to any great extent
2c - no need for another degree - you'll just need the pre-med courses

3a - if you aren't already, it sounds like you should see a psychologist or psychiatrist. It could be that some focused psychotherapy may help you best understand what you should do. Also, it may be that you are suffering from a clinical depression, which can be treated - either through psychotherapy or medication. It may be that there is more to your unhappiness than your work.
3b - I would only trust answers to this question from people you know well whom you trust. No one really knows your situation based on what you've outlined here.

Best of luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Also you can look into post bachelor programs that some universities offer. It's a program for people who weren't pre-med undergrad to get their science credits and from their get matriculated into the med program.

ReplyQuote
Share: