Notifications
Clear all

business graduate considering medical school

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

HI - I am looking to go back to school and need some advice. I actually have a bachelor's degree in Finance and I have worked in corporate finance for five years. I would like to try and go to Med school. Any suggestions for what I will have to do- I do not have hardly any science classes so I am assuming I will have to go back for a Masters in a Science to be considered.

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/4/3 16:21 ]

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I've met a few people who started in finance or accounting and then went back to medical school. You don't have to get a masters in science, but you will have to make sure you complete all of the pre-med classes, which basically includes:

1 year biology
1 year general chemistry
1 year organic chemistry
1 year physics
most require 1 year calculus

And then you'll have to take the MCAT. The people I know took the college classes part time while they were still working - I think it took them around 2 years to get all the classes done, take the MCAT, and get accepted to med school.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

As a business graduate, I am also in the same situation.

I was wondering how important is the reputation of the school where I would be taking part time classes in getting accepted into med school. In other words, is it worth it to attend a private institution with a fine reputation rather than an average but less costly school?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Top grades at an average school, plus solid MCAT score is probably fine. As long as the "average" school has a reputation of people being able to get into medical school, then you should be okay. I'm basing this on the fact that some people I've known in medical school who had a previous career went to a local 4 year college at night time while working to complete their pre-med requirements. They were okay schools, but not top tier - and these guys got accepted into very good medical schools.

Remember, I'm not a school counselor or anything like that - this is my own opinion, and as I often find out, my opinion is not always reality.

ReplyQuote
Share: