Notifications
Clear all

China Medical University

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jfowler85)
Topic starter  

This company (Beth Healthcare) came to my university to speak with us about a unique program they are accommodating students for.

The info can be looked up on the webiste, but in short they have relations with CMU in Shenyang, China and NYMC in Westchester county, NY, and send students on visa to attend med school in Shenyang. Upon graduation you come back to the states and train under supervision for 1 year at NYMC in preparation for residency applications, etc.

The information seems legitimate, and the owners of the Bethhealth were sincere, open and concise during the presentation. Has anyone ever heard of a program like this before? They are just starting the first class this fall, and already have undergrad students selected from UC schools. I know the stereotypes about going to offshore med schools but these guys have all the certifications, guarantee a spot at NYMC, have approval for students to seek loans from Bank of America and Citibank, etc etc.

Just wanted opinions from as many people as possible. Thanks,

Justin

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You can find the website by Googling "beth healthcare china", as I didn't want to link to their website directly not knowing much about them.

It does seem a bit extreme to go to China to study medicine, and while there is a clinical rotation at a US medical school, it doesn't look like you get a degree from a US medical school. It looks like you spend 4 years studying in China, and then 1 year studying in the US - doing your clinical rotations for a year at New York Medical College.

I can't imagine studying medicine at the China Medical School, as I'd assume the majority of the curriculum would be in Chinese, or at least the teachers wouldn't have the same English skills as people at US schools, or schools based in foreign countries that speak English as their primary language.

It seems that this would be a last resort option assuming you can't get into a US medical school, a US osteopathy school, or a more familiar international medical school.

I certainly would be very cautious considering this as an option at this time. Perhaps if they develop a record of success and you can have a chance to talk to some students who have gone this route, it would be something worth considering.

ReplyQuote
Share: