Notifications
Clear all

Can I go to medical school without taking pre-med courses?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am finishing up my undergrad education with a BS in Neuroscience and Psychology. I was always interested in the subject, but had no real focus regarding my future. As I prepare for graduate school now, I'm beginning to think I should have been preparing for medical school all along. I am extremely interested in research, but I don't want to only do research in the future. I want to work with people- possibly diagnostics. To do this, I would have to have an MD- correct? It is possible to graduate undergrad without the pre med requirements and still go to medical school? I want to go to med school, but am not sure how to go about it this late in the game. Any insight would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There is no way around the pre-med requirements if you want to go to medical school. You can often take them as night classes, but make sure they are pre-med level science courses.

I'm not sure what you mean by "diagnostics", so I can't really tell you if there are professions that do that work without medical degrees.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Actually, you can go to medical school abroad. Some do not require pre-med classes to attend their university and many do not require the MCAT. However, make sure they are licensed and approved of by the AMA (American Medical Association) so that you don't run into trouble when it comes to practicing in the US.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

HappyH,

I don't believe that any US agency accredits foreign medical colleges. In my opinion, If someone is able to get the grades and MCAT scores to get into a US medical school, they would be best served to do so. While the original poster of this thread would have had to do additional college coursework, I think the professional benefits would be worth the extra time and effort.

It does seem that the foreign medical schools do work out for some people, but I would recommend considering all other available options first.

ReplyQuote
Share: