Clear all

Board Certification in psychiatry

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@psych112233)
Topic starter  

Hi to everyone.
I have recently posted a number of questions in this website and I'm glad I've got answers, Thank you!
I'm wondering what I need to do to become a board certified pychiatrist? I read some posts stating that there are written exams and oral exams , also noticed a post stating that the oral exams may be eliminated. I actually also read on ABPN.com that the oram examination will be eliminated.
Can you please give me an exact description of the process becoming a board certified psychiatrist?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

psych112233,

You'd have to complete an accredited psychiatry residency program. At that point you are considered board eligible. You can then take your psychiatry board exam. The abpn.com website will have the most current requirements for the board exams. At this time, they do have both a written and oral exam. I'm not sure if there are any plans to get rid of the oral exam, but I think the format has changed over the years.

Clarification as of 8/3/13: I noticed that in 2008 they did announce a change in the oral exams. Physicians who entered psychiatry residency training ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2007 (PGY-1) or JULY 1, 2008 (PGY-2) will not take the oral exam.

The oral exam shown on the ABPN website is for physicians who started their residency before those dates, but have not yet completed the board certification process.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

what do you mean by board eligible? and why you said "You can take the exam..", can I practice psychiatry without taking the exam?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Arikat,

Board eligible means you have successfully completed an accredited residency program and you are qualified to take the board exam. You don't have to take the board exam, and you can practice psychiatry without taking the board exam.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

If that's so , DrDave, what is the advantage of being board-certified doctor ?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

First - I corrected my earlier post about oral board exams. It appears from the ABPN website that physicians starting residency ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2007 (PGY-1) or JULY 1, 2008 (PGY-2) will not take the oral board exam.

As for advantages of being board certified: Some places will pay you more, but most probably don't. You will be more competitive when looking for a job. I believe some insurance companies will only let you participate with them if you are board certified. You also may appear more credible if you are having to testify in court.

ReplyQuote
(@xshang)

I graduated from psych residency in 2010, and unfortunatly I have failed my oral board exam twice and unable to do it again becuase the old oral board exam is being eliminated. I am required by ABPN to pass 3 clinical skill assessments (live patient interview) from residency program as the current residents in the program to sit for the new board certification exam. The program i graduated from has not made the decision if they get get these done for me or not. I just wondering is there anybody in the same situation as me? are there any programs willing to do this or any commercial ways to get this done? Realy wants to get this done with any cost. Thanks.

psych doc.

ReplyQuote
Share: