New Member Guest

How would medical schools consider these three different cases:

1. Withdrawing from a course ONLY

2. Withdrawing a course, then taking it over again to get an A

3. Repeating a failed course and getting an A

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

More important than the specific examples is your reason for why you underwent each situation.

Of those you listed, withdrawing from a course and then taking it an getting an A is the best scenario, especially if you can give a reasonable reason why you withdrew.

Withdrawing from a course only is not a big deal either, as long as you can explain why you withdrew, and then explain why you decided not to take the class again.

Failing a course, then repeating it and getting an A is not that great of a situation. You'd better have a good reason why you failed it the first time.

There are very legitimate reasons for withdrawing from courses. There are far fewer legitimate reasons for failing a course, even if you are able to retake it with an A.

Again, this is my own opinion - I am not an expert in medical school acceptance, aside from having gone to medical school 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thanks so much, Admin.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

i took general biology in 1996 and got a grade D, i plan to retake it this summer. do you think grades nearly 10 years ago will have any bearing of trying to get into medical school in about 2 years?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

If the bad grade is on a transcript that you need to turn in as part of your application materials, then yes, it is fair game for that to be asked about by medical schools. Whether they will make a big deal out of it or not, I don't know - but I wouldn't be suprised if they asked you about it at an inerview.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

What about withdrawing from ALL courses in a semester? Is that bad?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Great...you ignored me. Thanks for your help, everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Sorry for not responding sooner. My reply is actually similar to the above comments - it is usually okay if you have a valid reason for doing so. People have unexpected things happen in their life that lead to them needing to drop out of school suddenly. However, if you don't have a solid reason for dropping all classes in a semester, it definitely will be viewed as a bad thing.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Contrary to what some might think... people don't just sit-on-tush-and-man-websites 24/7, especially when they have jobs. You know, like, as a doctor, for instance.

Let's not be cranky, huh? The guy who put this site up is doing us, as aspiring physicians, all a great service.

Thanks, Doc M, for your patience with the impatient. 😮

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: