Clear all

psych major anthro minor???

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@onelove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Right now it seems as though i will be a psych major and an anthro minor, how will this affect me in the whole med application process? It seems that I'll be lacking in the biology and natural science department as compared to other med applicants who may have majored in bio/chem/biochem etc.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Major doesn't make much if any difference. The only thing that really matters is that you have completed the pre-med requirements. The extra science classes don't help with your med school application, but may be helpful in med school when the material will be more familiar if you've already taken some classes covering the material.

In general, though, I'd recommend taking classes that you won't get to take in med school. You'll learn the stuff plenty well in med school without having taken the course before.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Yes, that is true... you will likely have less of a background in some things than other applicants. Big deal!

I was a German major in undergrad, and a Health Promotion major in grad school, and I find that I just bring a different set of skills to the table than some other med students. (Also, if you are at a good school where the students are supportive of one another, you can usually find a colleague who will help you out with their extensive undergrad knowledge, if necessary...) 😉

The main thing is, be prepared for the MCAT no matter what your major. You can then use your extensive psych/anthro experience to wow 'em at the interviews.

After that, as Doc Admin points out, you will get more than enough bio/biochem/etc. to keep you busy. Oath. Best of luck to you!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@onelove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've herad that I may also be at a slight advantage because of my majors. is this true?

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

If you mean you could be at a disadvantage in the application process, that is simply not the case. As long as you have good MCAT scores and a solid pre-med science GPA, they don't care what you majored in. Sure, there are MORE people who are bio/chem majors, but so what?

You can certainly parlay your education into a much more rich and interesting interview experience than some of your other pre-med colleagues.

Best of luck to you. 😀

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: