15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
49 K Views
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

National Youth Leadership Forum On Medicine,

Any one know anything about this?
Help, I received a formal invitation from them to attend. And I need some questions answered.

Should I go?
It looks very prestigious, is it?
Should I mention it on my college apps, even if I decide not to go?

Any info any one can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I had never heard of this before, but did some checking up on it. First, most people who participated and have posted comments have felt it was a very good experience. It is expensive (around $2000 for a 10 day experience?). While a good experience, it isn't the type of experience that will make a dramatic impact on your application to medical schools. People do seem to say they met a lot of interesting people that they keep in touch with for a long time.

Here's a few of the discussions I found on the topic:

National Youth Leadership Conference and Ivy Admission

National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine

Also, I would NOT put it on your resume if you did not attend.

[ Edited by Admin on 2004/9/16 6:24 ]

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

I was the Student Coordinator for the NYLF program this past summer at University of New England, and (at least at our school) it was an excellent gig for students considering medicine.

We included an introduction to pre-med studies and medical school by a panel of our own med students, a mini-lecture from one of our favorite professors, a general introduction to the practice of OBGYN by an alumnus of our program, a live, virtual tour of the anatomy lab, complete with dissected cadavera, and other sundry activities.

I don't know if all of the schools involved do it up as cool as we did (pardon the lack of humility there), but most people said that they found the NYLF experience to be well worth their time. Some of them were on scholarships, too, so that is worth looking in to, if Mom and/or Pops can't kick in 2 grand for it.

And Doc Admin is right... only include it on your resume if you actually attend.

Good luck to you! 😎

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Why? What's wrong if you include it but did not attend?

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Simply put, it is disingenuous to make reference to an organization with which you are not actually involved. Plus, it looks like you are desperate for filler! For example, would you include the following on your resume?

"BA with Honors, Shuttlecock University.
(I was also accepted to Pipsqueak College and Junglegym Tech, but I didn't actually go there.)"

Of course you wouldn't. At least, I hope not! It's silly and unprofessional. Hence, on applications, resumes, CVs and the like, one should only include colleges, programs, etc., which one has actually attended/presented. 🙂

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Yeah you should go i was just there this summer and it was worth it. You meet a lot of people you learn tons of things and its a lot of fun. If you need any more info on it yuo can email me at [email protected].

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I went and I loved it. I went to Villa nova for the forum and it was so much fun and so interesting. I learned about getting into medical school and what it would be like and if I should leave home that far or not, and it helped me decide that I rather be a P.A. other than an actual doctor. You meet so many people and do so many interesting things and listen to all kinds of interesting people. If you're really interested you should go, if not ... don't take someones spot that would really enjoy going.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

NY Times article: Congratulations! You Are Nominated. It’s an Honor. (It’s a Sales Pitch.)

🙄
I called the medical schhol admissions today for our state University & they said adding this to your resume would mean nothing as they had NEVER heard of it & would in no way vouch for them as to being a reputable place, That going there would neither help nor himder your chance to be accepted into medical school at University !! SHe said you could get same experience in your comunity for FREE!!!!! I think it was flattering but not worth 2500, dollars for my daughter to make friends at a camp. Look at your local university there are mentoring/shadowing programs etc for FREE! I am glad I spent a few minutes on the phone before falling for slick packaging & flattering comments about my daughter almost lead me to spend 2500. we could put towards college !!! YEAH commun sense triunped over a well orchestrated marketing campaign !!I now wonder if the comments were planted . My firend has a busoinness we all signed on & wrote great things about them...they now have a 5 star rating !!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Why is it impossible to actually speak to someone at the main office?
Do they think someone will pay AND send their child just like that?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I can not get in touch with anyone from the office. Has anyone been able to contact them?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

If you like to contact someone in the office, the best way is to send them an e-mail to them.

I received a call back the next day. But it is quite unfair to have to listen to the never ending interview while you are on hold for 1 hr, very absurd. They should have a recording providing with an estimated wait time, so that you could decide whether or not you wanted to wait. Good luck!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Has anyone used the college credits??

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I attended NYLF Med in DC this past summer and it was an amazing experience! I met people from all over the country and loved all the opportunities i got. My favorite part was all the different people we got to meet. We met about 20 different doctors or professionals in the medical field and it was amazing to hear from everyone. They talked about everything from there schooling to interesting stories they've experienced over the years. While it may not have much value on a resume or college application..the experience and things you learn are priceless !

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I know this post is rather old, but in case anyone else is doing research on the National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF) on Medicine these days, my sister had a great experience! I think it may cost more money these days, but, fortunately, there is some opportunity out there for scholarships if you qualify. And, other people pay extra for credits for George Mason University, so it's a great way to jump-start your college career.

ReplyQuote
Share: